To make this Southwest Chicken Detox Soup, I used Old El Paso Green Chiles to give the broth a smoky undertone, then loaded it with:
- Skinless chicken breasts for lean protein.
- Cabbage, broccoli, avocado, garlic and turmeric… All detoxifying ingredients that help your body release toxins.
- Ground cumin and crushed red pepper for additional southwest essence.
The combination of the Old El Paso green chiles and the spices, enhances the natural flavor of the chicken and veggies for a bold tantalizing flavor.
Plus, the release of toxins helps your body work more efficiently meaning: purging water retention, a metabolic boost, more energy, and better sleep.
You’ll be amazed at how good you feel after eating Southwest Chicken Detox Soup for several days.
Southwest Chicken Detox Soup Recipe – A fabulous healthy low-fat, low-carb, gluten-free soup, with tons of flavor! This cleansing soup packs a punch.
- 1 1/2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 – 4.5 ounce cans Old El Paso Chopped Green Chiles
- 14.5 ounce can “fire roasted” crushed tomatoes
- 3 quarts chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoons turmeric
- 2 1/2 cups sliced carrots
- 4 cups chopped cabbage
- 3 cups small broccoli florets
- 2 avocados, peeled and diced
- Salt and pepper
- Set a large sauce pot over medium heat. Add the olive oil, chopped onions, and garlic. Sauté for 5-6 minutes to soften. Then add the chicken breasts, Old El Paso Chopped Green Chiles, crushed tomatoes, chicken broth, all spices, carrots, and 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt.
- Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer for 20+ minutes, until the chicken breasts are cooked through. Then remove the chicken with tongs and set them on a cutting board to cool.
- Add the chopped cabbage and broccoli to the pot. Continue to simmer to soften the broccoli. Meanwhile, shred the chicken breasts with two forks, and stir it back into the soup. Once the broccoli is tender, taste, then salt and pepper as needed. Serve warm with a generous amount of diced avocado on top!
NOTE: If the soup base boils down too much, add 2-3 cups of water to the broth. Then taste for seasoning.
Yield: 8-12 bowls, Serving Size: 12
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 187 Calories
- Total Fat: 9.2g
- Saturated Fat: 1.7g
- Cholesterol: 27mg
- Sodium: 1093mg
- Carbohydrates: 13.9g
- Fiber: 6g
- Sugar: 4.9g
- Protein: 13.6g
Recipe found at A Spicy Perspective